For most of you, ‘gifting’ simply means ‘gifting gadgets’. But, is it really a good idea? If I were you, I would think twice before buying a gadget as gift for my friend.
Do you know why?
Because I want my gift to be something that lasts long and reminds her about me, but not until some giddy gadget dies. And because of this, I find paintings to be a better choice for a gift.
But, is that the only reason for my love of paintings? Not at all, there are many more reasons. Here are they.
Why You Should Gift Paintings?
1.Timelessness – Can you use your gadget all your living life? I’m sure most of us don’t even keep our phones more than 3 years. By that time, there would be something new in the market attracting our attention.
But, is it the same with paintings? Of course, there will be new paintings. But you won’t feel the need to replace your painting. It would have become part of your life in someway that you still enjoy its presence on your wall.
2. Paintings evokes emotions – Do gadgets make you feel happy, motivated or even curious? Yes, I do feel happy when I get a new gadget, but it lasts just for a couple of days. Then, the interest is lost. I do not find any kind of emotional attachment towards these gadgets other than the obvious ‘Its mine!’ sentiment.
When it comes to paintings, I can somehow relate to them in my own ways. The emotions portrayed on the canvas seem to flow in and out of me. This is one reason why I think paintings can be a good choice of gift for anyone. It can evoke emotions.
3. Improves quality of life – In my room, there is a painting of the famous “Geetha Updesh” scene from Mahabharata.
In the painting, Lord Krishna is seen teaching and motivating a down and out Arjuna. Everyday, I wake up to see this painting on the wall. The kind of motivation and inspiration it passes onto me is limitless. Now, I am motivated to try new things every day in my life. A simple painting changed the way I see life.
My question to you is this: do you think a gadget can do the same to your friend’s life? I believe, nothing can make such a difference as paintings! Paintings improve ambience and quality of life.
4. Paintings are treasure, not trash – With time, today’s new gadgets become trashes of tomorrow. But, paintings turn themselves into treasures. Any ordinary and original painting you buy today can become a priceless possession of tomorrow. If you need proof, look at some of the most expensive paintings of today. Most of them were created at least a decade back.
5. Eco-friendly and easy to maintain – Modern gadgets need to be handled with great care. No matter how carefully we handle them, it’s sure to fail one day. Also, these gadgets are made of materials that cause a lot of harm to the nature. On the other hand, paintings need very little care. You might occasionally need to wipe dust off from the surface. That simple! Easy to maintain and eco friendly.
6. You have many affordable options – If you want to buy a gadget, you would have to shell our some chunk of cash. Yes, it is true for original paintings too. But, the difference lies in the alternatives.
Imagine for a moment, you want to gift a specific high value gadget. If you don’t have the resources to buy that gadget, what would you do? I’m sure you will go for a lower end version or a clone. In that case, can you get all the benefits of your original gadget? Impossible, right?
Well, that is not the case with paintings. You have multiple options based on your budget. You can go for reproductions, canvas prints or posters. All of these cost a fraction of the original cost. Above all, these copies have almost all the qualities (except financial appreciation) of an original painting.
So by gifting paintings, you are gifting a long lasting treasure that will remind her about you. Hence, take my advice, present your friend with a beautiful art painting.
Now it is your turn. What would you buy as your next gift? Let us know via comments.